Next Project: North Central Victoria Regional Sustainable Agriculture Strategy >
The North Central Catchment Management Authority (CMA) in partnership with Agriculture Victoria has developed the North Central Victoria Regional Soil Health Action Plan.
This Action Plan will deliver:
- A vision and for 10 and 20-year goals for soil health
- Agreement with partners and community on the guiding principles for improvements in the region’s soil health
- Determined priority areas of action
- Confirmation of the most effective delivery mechanisms for achieving actions
- A program to respond to the land and soil actions identified in the North Central Victoria Regional Sustainable Agriculture Strategy
- Alignment of North Central Victoria regional priorities with national and state priorities.
Back to project
As part of the North Central Victoria Regional Soil Health Action Plan development, we defined what healthy soil is.
A Healthy Soil
- Supplies nutrients, water and oxygen for healthy plant growth
- Allow infiltration, and facilitate storage and filtration of water
- Retaining and cycling nutrients and supporting plant growth
- Suppresses pests, disease and weeds
- Large and diverse population of soil biota
- Resistant to degradation
- Resilient to impact of environmental stresses
Back to project
As part of the North Central Victoria Regional Soil Health Action Plan development, we defined what the management objectives for soil health are.
North Central CMA’s Management Objectives for Soil Health
- Minimise Soil Loss
- Reduce Acidification & Salinity
- Improve Soil Physical Properties
- Manage Wet Soils
- Prevent Contamination
- Maintain and Enhance Soil Biota
- Maintain Nutritional Fertility
- Maintain/improve groundcover and organic carbon levels